What Does ASHRAE Expect from SSPC 41?
ASHRAE Standards Action bulletin (Volume 1, Issue 23) dated October 7, 2005 contained the following announcement: "The new Standing Standards Project Committee, SSPC 41, Standard Methods for Measurement, was approved with the charge to be the consensus body for standard methods for measurement of liquids and gases in HVAC&R applications and to maintain and revise each of the 41-series individual standards."
How Does SSPC 41 Operate?
SSPC 41 is organized in the SSPC 41 project committee and a revision subcommittee for each of the 41-series standards as noted in the table below. The SSPC 41 project committee:
* Is a balanced project committee comprised of member with relevant knowledge in the Producers, Users, and General Interest categories,
* Appropriately and fairly represents the interests of the three cognizant TCs (TC 1.2 lead, TC 1.1, and TC 8.1), and
* Appropriately and fairly represents the interests of the various separate 41-series subcommittees.
More specifically, the SSPC 41 project committee:
* Responds to ASHRAE's request for periodic maintenance of individual 41-series standards by deciding to Revise, Reaffirm, or Withdraw the standard * Forms new revision subcommittees, appoints a new revision subcommittee chair, and approves a slate of revision subcommittee voting members when needed
* Recommends draft standards for public review and subsequent publication
* Recommends approval of responses to public review comments
* Recommends approval of proposed changes in Title, Purpose, and Scope
* Recommends approval of requests for interpretation
* Recommends appointment of a specific Vice Chair annually
* Communicates status and changes to all stakeholders (cognizant TCs, SPLS, and all project committee members)
How Did the Formation of SSPC 41 Change the Way That 41-series Standards are Revised?
The 41-series standards are under periodic maintenance. Prior to the formation of SSPC 41 the cognizant TC would be asked to either Revise, Reaffirm, or Withdraw each 41-series standard approximately 3 years after publication. If the cognizant TC voted to Revise a 41-series standard, the TC proposed a chair of the SPC revision committee and a slate of SPC members. And the TC approved Title, Purpose, and Scope changes, if any, for each revision SPC committee. SPC members normally served until the standard was published. In contrast, after the formation of SSPC 41, the SSPC41 project committee is asked to either Revise, Reaffirm, or Withdraw each 41-series standard approximately 3 years after publication. If the cognizant SSPC 41 votes to Revise a 41-series standard, SSPC 41 proposes a chair of the SSPC revision subcommittee and a slate of revision subcommittee voting members. And SSPC 41 now approves Title, Purpose, and Scope changes, if any, for each SSPC 41 revision subcommittee.
What are the SSPC 41 Subcommittees?
||Title of the Standard
||Standard Methods of Temperature Measurement
||Standard Methods of Air Velocity and Airflow Measurement
||Standard Methods for Pressure Measurement
||Standard Methods for Measurement of Proportion of Lubricant in Liquid Refrigerant
||Standard Methods for Humidity Measurement
||Standard Methods for Gas Flow Measurement
||Standard Methods for Liquid Flow Measurement
||Standard Methods for Refrigerant Mass Flow Measurement Using Calorimeters
||Standard Methods for Refrigerant Mass Flow Measurement Using Flowmeters
||Standard Methods for Power Measurement
Standard Methods for Fuel Heat Value Measurement
| Jim Lutz
SSPC41 Committee Chair Contact Information
Michael Shows, Chair SSPC 41 (Vice-Chair Margaret Mathison)